Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wonton Leftovers


I made wonton soup today for lunch using up the wrappers left from Thursday's dinner*. The recipe for the soup was from Culinate.

I used 8 oz of seitan that I had in the freezer. I left out the soy in the filling as the seitan was so seasoned. I used 9 oz of fresh spinach. I left out the egg and just put in one scallion in the filling. I used mirin instead of sugar.

For the soup I used part homemade vegetable broth and part spinach cooking water. I also added 2 tsps of white miso.

I just made 15 wontons which is all the wrappers that were left and this made two nice size bowls of soup. It is not a lot of calories so I will be snacking later. This would be a fine first course but is not a hearty enough soup for a meal.

I also have a lot of broth and filling left that I have saved for future use.

* I don't think I did post about Thursday's dinner with friends this week. I made tofu and spinach ravioli utilizing won ton wrappers from the store and served it with a roasted tomato sauce. Everyone liked it and it was kind of fun to make but way to much work. I am thinking over three hours. It was another success from the Healthy Hedonist but it made me realize that this book is for a different kind of cook. I suspected when I always had to go up a pot size and a stove setting that it was done in a more commercial kitchen. I think it might also be for working with an assistant. I will keep the book and use it when time allows.

No comments: