Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vegetable-Filled Pancakes




I made the Vegetable-Filled Pancakes from the Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites Cookbook. It was easy to make as promised and salty as warned but it did not add up to the servings noted.

My broccoli netted out at 6 cups of florets and 3/4 cup of peeled stems. This put me at a recipe and a half so that is what I made. This should have thereby made 1.5 cups of filling to fill six of the eight inch tortillas. I got 4 cups of filling.

I guess the calorie count they have is about right for 2 tortillas and half of the filling of the base recipe but you can not fit 2/3 of a cup of filling in a tortilla. Even the recipe says 1/4 cup. To get the serving they have you would have to eat two filled tortillas with a big mound of filling on the side.

If you stick with the 1/4 cup of filling per tortilla you end up with about 170 calories per filled tortilla. So I had three for dinner at 510 calories. Matt had four.

We will be finishing the filling off in pita bread becasue I calculated that I would need 16 tortillas and I only had 10.

This dish is also very salty. I could not find the fermented black beans so settled for a fermented black bean sauce which meant that I could not rinse the beans to reduce the salt.

I had some left overs for lunch and did not heat up the filling. The salt didn't bother me as much today with the chill from the refrigerator or maybe my taste buds are just adjusting.

I might try a version of this again but will not be serving it to others until I work out some of the details.

No comments: