Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quick Pre-Concert Dinner

We were planning on going to a concert around 7:30 so I wanted a quick dinner. I knew that we would be drinking a bit of beer so I wanted to keep the calories around 500.

I created this recipe from 3 sources with my own substitutions and adjustments. I don't usually share recipes here but reference the sources. I will say this recipe definitely starts with Immer's Roasted Okra and Cauliflower recipe but I feel it is adjusted enough to share here. I also referenced Immer's roasted chickpea recipe and Bishop's roasted kohlrabi.

Kristen's Roasted Vegetable and Chickpea Dinner

Preheat an oven to 400 degress.

Toast the following whole spices in a small fry pan and then grind with a mortar and pestle.
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp mustard seeds

In a non-stick roasting plan toss the following ingredients:
1 head cauliflower broken into florets (I used green cauliflower)
1 red bell pepper cut into 1 inch wide slices
5 kohlrabi bulbs peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (err on the small side)
4 tsp of the herb mixture
3 tbsp of olive oil

Roast the vegetables in the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring once. Then add the following ingredients and raise the temperature to 450 degrees.

1 can chickpeas rinsed
4 cloves of garlic cut in slices
remaining spices
1/2 tsp of salt

Roast for another 15 minutes until roasted, stirring occasionally.

Sprinkle with
2 tsp of lemon juice (about half a lemon)

Serve.

We ate this as our entree for 2 at about 500 calories. Most people would treat this as a side dish for maybe 4 people.

No comments: