Wednesday, April 1, 2009

3 Green Vegetable Salad in Mustard Vinegarette


The other night (I can't remember which) I worked on cleaning out the refrigerator. The meal was based on the highly successful asparagus and orzo salad from Culinate mentioned on earlier posts.













Here is what was in the fridge and went into the pot:
6 oz baby spinach
8 oz asparagus, cut in 1/2 pieces, tops left whole
1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 Tbsp champagne vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
6 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp reserved cooking liquid
2 Tbsp capers, drained
1/2 cup green olives, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbsp dill, chopped
2 cups whole wheat orzo

Bring water to boil in large pasta pot. Cook spinach for 1 minute and drain in colander. When drained chop spinach and set aside. Cook asparagus for 2 minutes and cool under running water and drain in colander. Cook broccoli for 4 minutes and cool under running water and drain in colander. Cook orzo for 10 minutes until done and cool under running water and drain in colander.

Add chopped onion to large salad bowl. Add vinegar and mustard and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and toss. Add salt to taste.

Pretty good and three vegetables utilized.

I paired this with a Cabernet. I like Cabernet but I don't cook meat so that always leaves me wondering what to do. I think if you get that nice strong flavor of the capers, green olives, and herbs in the mustard vinaigrette and you have a chance. I am pretty happy with the pairing.

Thanks to Jan for the wine. This is left over from a great meal and wine paring that Jan organized at Slim's for my birthday. Slim's is Serious Yum.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice variation on the orzo-asparagus salad. I like the sound of the champagne vinegar, mustard and green olives in that you added. We made the Culinate version this week, and it was a hit here. Shirley really enjoyed it, and it is definitely in regular rotation.