Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wheat on Wheat Pizza


I made another pizza based on the recipes in the Healthy Hedonist.

I made the 50/50 whole wheat crust. I don't have the fancy pizza paraphernalia so I roll out the dough and put it on a regular baking sheet. I bake it for 10 minutes at 500 degrees in the pan. I then remove it from the pan and bake directly on the oven rack for about another 7 minutes.

I didn't have pesto but I had the left over filling from my wontons. This "pesto" was seitan, spinach, garlic, and ginger. I made the fire roasted tomato sauce and the sauteed mushrooms from the Healthy Hedonist.

The garlic in the "pesto" was raw which provided a strong flavor but not too much bite. The roasted flavors of the tomato sauce and the mushrooms pair nicely with the flavor of the whole wheat crust.


I cut this into 12 slices at about 200 calories a piece. We had 3 slices for dinner and that left extras for lunch where we had 2 slices for a serving. This pizza was pretty good cold and the crust held together well.

I served this with a simple salad of romaine and baby mixed greens dressed with a sherry vinegar and olive oil dressing with a touch of garlic and salt.


If you accept the flavor of a whole wheat crust and you accept that you are not making a 100% whole wheat crust this is a pretty easy way to make a satisfying dinner (and lunch). I would serve this to anyone that eats weird food but not to someone who is expecting pizza.

1 comment:

Mikeosaurus said...

It's sad, really. I've been a vegetarian for almost 7 years and I have yet to make something as delicious-looking as that pizza. Don't get me wrong, I've had some pretty elaborate stuff, but as I'm hungry right now, and out of reach of good wholesome food, that Pizza looks rather bombish (of or pertaining to being "the bomb").