Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Back to a Basic

One of my old standby cookbooks is Eating Well's Rush Hour Cookbook. It is complete meals that you can make on a weeknight. Most of them include fish or meat but some don't. Last night we had "Dinner at the Oasis."

This was Vegetable Tagine with Couscous and a Romaine and Fresh Herb Salad. It is pretty basic ingredients and easy to put together. I thought it tasted pretty good and enjoyed it although it was quite a bit of food. Matt said it was okay but picked at it and left most of the couscous on the plate. We both enjoyed the salad.

The tagine is 600 calories a serving for 4 servings and that includes the couscous. The salad is reported to be 56 calories for 4 servings but we ate more than one serving.

I would consider this eligible for addition to the regular recipes although probably would need to leave out the saffron (which is listed as an optional ingredient). The raisins and almonds add a nice touch. I will try it again on Matt sometime to see.

I didn't get any pictures last night but might give it a try when I pull out the leftovers for lunch.
Thanks to Jiffer for the saffron.

No comments: