Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Plans for the Kitchen


This post is not about food but about trying to improve the environment in which I prepare it.

I am doing the Apartment Therapy Spring Cure. Last week was purging cabinets and cleaning in the kitchen. Since then I have been thinking about what I could do to improve my kitchen.

My kitchen is small but my apartment is large. My kitchen works fine for one person cooking for two people so I enjoy it most of the time. I can unload my dishwasher without moving my feet which was helpful when on crutches.

When I am entertaining the kitchen becomes a problem. I have to work with my back to my guests and the guests can't get a glass or throw out a napkin without me moving.

I am not much of an interor decorator and I have no ability to visualize what I want. I tried to collect pictures of what I want but found nothing. I started collecting any picture of a kitchen bar or island to try and figure it out but just got a big stack of pictures. We went to Ikea yesterday and I still couldn't picture anything.

Today I built a counter out of odds and ends. Below you can find pictures of the kitchen before cleaning, after cleaning, and with the counter expansion place holder. I am up for suggestions.

Floor Plan (Counter extension in red)




Before Cleaning:


After Cleaning:

Counter Model:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great use for a music stand, Kristen!