Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Murjadarrah & Middle Eastern Salad

This week I am trying some recipes from the Healthy Hedonist cookbook. This one tasted pretty good but the murjadarrah was on the ugly side. It was a simple version that probably sacrificed a little too much of the look and texture by cooking the rice and lentils together. This simplified version does help make it a weeknight menu item.

I am also working on a healthy living challenge with my sister. One of my goals is to track my food. This means I will have some calorie estimates for my meals. I used to do this but got lazy.

This recipe makes 6 400 calorie servings not including the pita. We went with 4 600 calorie servings providing leftovers for lunch.

I kept the salads separate and heated up the lentils for lunch. I thought it held on pretty well. In the off season I would probably use cherry tomatoes in the salad in the future. This time I used roma tomatoes and I used a thin skinned cucumber and did not peel it.

This could become a weeknight regular when I am working again. That makes it a 3 and a 3.

No comments: