Sunday, April 19, 2009

Whole Wheat Pasta Hit


Yesterday I made the Braised Broccoli Rabe with (not) Orecchiette from the June 2009 Eating Well magazine that just arrived. I only had linguine which I broke into small bits and used as a substitute for the orecchiette.

The bothering to blanch the broccoli rabe prior to cooking was a step I felt like skipping but I didn't and I do think it helped take a bit of the bite out. There was enought bite left to hold up to the whole wheat pasta and provide lots of flavor.

I made my own vegetable broth. We think maybe a milder broth or a half broth and water combination may be the way to go because by the second serving it was getting a bit heavy.

A technique that appeared to be a real winner was the cooking of the greens and the pasta in 5 cups of broth for 18 minutes. The pasta came out great. Underdone whole wheat pasta is not good and I tend towards that.

We really liked this dish and plan on making it a regular.

1 comment:

janet said...

That looks yummy! I have broccoli raab in my garden and now I know what to do with it.