Monday, June 1, 2009

Lunch - May 30, 2009

This recipe is from the New York Times' Recipes for Health. It is called Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Bok Choy or Baby Broccoli.

I don't know what baby broccoli is. The market did not have bok choy so I went with broccolini. Broccolini is not broccoli rabe (aka rapini). I had to significantly up the cooking time so I am going to guess that broccolini is not baby broccoli. The label claimed that broccolini was a natural hybrid of broccoli and some vegetable I had never heard of and that it was similar to asparagus. It was pretty good and the whole bunch was good for cooking.


I used roasted peanut oil and green Thai chili paste. I also ended up adding more water as the broccolini was cooking. I also may have had twice as much broccolini as I should. I am without a kitchen scale and I forgot to weigh it at the market. I served this with brown jasmine rice made from 1 cup of dry rice.

The bottom parts of the green onion get cooked. I put the top parts in a bowl of ice water while I prepared the dish. I drained and sprinkled on top at the end. I think this mellowed the onions nicely.

I had the stir fry at 860 calories total and the rice at 680 calories for a total of 1540. That works out to 385 per serving which is a nice size for a lunch.

We both liked this dish. It had enough heat that I was glad to have the rice. It was pretty easy to put together and could probably be done in the time it takes to cook the rice. I was doing other things while I cooked so it took me a bit longer.

I would make this agan and I would serve it up to guests for a nice lunch.


No comments: