Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lunch - June 20, 2009


This is Red Lentil Patties with Cilantro Sauce from Kornfeld's Healthy Hedonist. I served this along side a green salad for a nice lunch. We both thought these patties were pretty tasty. I think these could make into our rotation and I could serve these to my vegetarian friends.

I made these with Red Bhutanese rice as is mentioned as an alternate in the recipe text. The cakes did not hold together very well when I was making and dredging them but I stuck with it and they held together well enough in the end. I used sesame oil through out the recipe.

This made 8 patties with 2 patties used for each serving. I calculated 416 calories for each serving for the patties plus 35 calories per serving for the Cilantro Sauce for a total of 451 per serving.

This took me 90 minutes to make from starting the rice to plates on the table.

Several of Myra Kornfeld's recipes take the mono-textured mixtures of grains and beans that make up much of vegan cooking and take them through an extra step of making them into patties and frying them to give them some texture and definition. I think this will be a good tool to add to my kit of tricks.


No comments: