Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dinner - May 31, 2009

I almost forgot this last recipe that I tried from the Recipes for Health column in the New York Times. This was called Provencal Potato "Bouillabaisse" or "poor man's bouillabaisse" and the recipe can be found on their website.

This recipe was quite unusual for me because it included 4 eggs. The week before I had bought a bag of potatoes when I only needed one and I was looking for potato recipes this week. I thought I would try some local eggs and see how the recipe worked.

Matt was very reluctant to eat this. But we both enjoyed it. If I had caught the part of the recipe that suggested some toasted country bread with garlic, we would have enjoyed it even more. We each ate one serving and I ate most of the left overs the next day.

I thought my broth was a little heavy on the tomato side but this may have been because I used canned tomatoes. I poured in each egg individually along different areas of the edge of the pot.

This is not exactly a poor man's dish because of the saffron. Even though we liked this I probably won't make it again because we don't usually eat eggs and rarely eat potatoes.

I mentioned in the last post that these recipes have been pretty good but now that I look at the success ratio I think I should have been a bit more glowing in my praise. I will definitely be trying more of these recipes. To check the whole series with the recipes grouped by ingredient themes go to http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

No comments: