Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday - May 20, 2009


This is the Garlic Soup with Tortillas, Avocado, and Lime that I was suppose to make with the Rice, Beans, and Peas that I posted previously. I was making this our whole meal for the night so I doubled the broccoli and upped the tortilla strips a touch. (Maybe I did it because that was how much broccoli I had or because the tortilla strips were so good.)

The recipe doesn't specify how large the tortillas that you cut up and fry are suppose to be so maybe I didn't up the amount at all. I would suggest frying in two batches using the same oil.

I think this came together pretty easily but I was sort of stalling for Matt to get home for work so I am not sure how long it really took. Eventually I ate my two servings. When Matt got home I heated the soup back up and then poured the hot soup over the avocado and tortilla strips.

I thought this was pretty good. Matt was won over by it after a reluctant start. He even suggested we could serve it to his parents on their upcoming visit. (We didn't but we did make a meal from Berley's Flexitarian Table cookbook).

I will be making this again. We ate two servings each to make it a meal. For guests I will go with one serving and an additional dish. I tried to calculate the calories but I had a hard time coming up with a number for the tortillas. I came up with just over 300 calories for each serving (based on 4 servings).

No comments: