Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rice, Beans, and Peas


This week I jumped back to Peter Berley's Fresh Food Fast. The recipes are generally easy and good. I have had a pretty high success rate with these recipes. About half the recipes are dairy free and all are vegetarian. I am posting a menu with dairy for what I think is only the second time. (The only other one I can remember is a strawberry and balsamic with mozzarella recipe from Immer).


The Rice, Beans, and Peas were suppose to be paired with a Garlic Soup with Tortillas, Avocado, and Lime. We ended up snacking on chips and salsa as a first course. I will be trying the soup later in the week.

This recipe was incredibly easy and took just the time for the rice to cook. I used fresh peas but if you rely on frozen peas you could call this a pantry classic.

I used brown basmati rice so my cooking time on the rice went from 20 minutes to 50. I was just using up some left over swiss slices that were in the fridge so it was probably a little stringer than the Monterey Jack would have been.

We both enjoyed this. It was like a rugid rissoto. I would not serve this to most guests but I think it will become a classic worknight meal.


I tried a bite before the cheese and think it is pretty decent that way.

No comments: