Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tuesday - May 19, 2009

Another meal from the spring section of Berley's Fresh Food Fast. This is Charmoula Baked Tempeh with Vegetable Couscous. I never got around to making the carrot salad on the menu.

This dish is not baked in the oven but cooked on the stove top. I used a 1 lb bunch of asparagus rather than the 1/2 lb called for in the recipe. I only had half the couscous that was called for so I substituted half bulgur wheat. I soaked the bulgur in boiling water before adding. The recipe said to simmer the tempeh for 15 minute with the lid on until the liquid is absorbed. I did 15 minutes with the lid on and then 15 minutes with the lid set ajar to get to liquid under control.

I found the tempeh too salty but the couscous about right for salt. Matt said he liked the tempeh salty but I am going to try less salt next time. Matt like the spice on the tempeh but did not get that into the couscous. I thought the couscous mixture was good even without the tempeh. I thought the mushroom added a nice richness. I will consider chopping instead of slicing the onions next time for appearances.

I would say this dish has potential but I will not be serving up to any guests. I will be trying the two parts again separately as I think they are both nice fundamental dishes with good flavor.

No comments: