Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tabbouleh & Hummus


From Berley's Fresh Food Fast I made Spring Menu #4 for lunch today. I really like cookbooks that have the recipes arranged by season.

The hummus is a Lemon Walnut Hummus. I had made it before and enjoyed it. It was good today although my can of chick peas could have been a little fresher smelling. I added a 1/4 cup of water to thin out the hummus. I also used smallish garlic cloves which still appeared to be enough. I forgot the one caveat on this cookbook which is you need to cut back the salt. We enjoyed the salt here but I have to remember for the future.

The tabbouleh is called Spring Tabbouleh. It calls for 2 cups of chopped fresh mint. As an unemployed urban apartment dweller I was not able to pull off that much mint. I ended up with about a 1/3 of cup from one package at the store and increased the parsley from 1 to 2 cups to make up some of the difference. I also doubled the cherry tomatoes because they added a nice flavor and moisture to the Tabbouleh. I really like this recipe and find the radishes add a nice crunch. I may add some cucumber next time. The salt in this was about right.

I warmed the pitas in the oven and we enjoyed a nice fresh tasting lunch. I would probably make this once a year as it is enjoyable but not that much greater than what you can get at Mediterranean restaurants for a very reasonable price.

No comments: