Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dinner - June 30, 2009

It is July 14th as I write this post, but I can still taste this meal. I really enjoyed this meal and would be proud to serve it to any guests who will eat olives.

For a first course we had microgreens on top of tomato slices. I dressed the microgreens in a simple olive oil and balsamic dressing. I used the fancy balsamic vinegar that Jan shared with me. This vinegar is so good that Jan and I are known for drinking it.

For the meal we had a whole wheat pasta dish with a side of yellow wax beans. The pasta recipe is from Immer's Everyday Dining with Wine and is called Linguine with Walnuts, Olives, and Arugula. We were out of linguine and had to go with penne. I would recommend sticking with the linguine and I would also recommend using a whole wheat or partial whole wheat pasta. I left out the cheese and I can't imagine it being any better with it.

This pasta dish reminded me why I cook from recipes from cookbook writers that I like. The food is greater than its parts.

The beans were prepared in boiling water as outlined in Bishop's Vegetables Every Day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Kristen. This pasta dish looks delicious. I'm going to try it. I also want to let you know about a good recipe for Brussels Sprouts that I found online. I've made it twice so far, and we really enjoy it. It's a simple stove top method. Click here for the recipe.