Friday, July 3, 2009

Dinner - June 26, 2009


I don't have any pictures from this meal. I grilled on the rooftop and we enjoyed dinner under the stars. The picture is from the leftover green beans that we ate the next day for lunch.

For dinner we had grilled squash with pesto, green bean and bell pepper packets roasted on the grill, and some potato salad that I had made up downstairs.

The squash and the green beans recipes are from the August, 2009 Eating Well Magazine. Links to the Eating Well recipes are below. The potato salad recipe is called Potato Salad with Caramelized Onions and is from the Healthy Hedonist cookbook.

Pesto-Topped Grilled Summer Squash

Packet-Roasted Balsamic Green Beans & Peppers

We liked all of the dishes. I was not completely wowed by the green beans but that roasted flavor grew on me. I am going to give the a version of squash a try again today. I would take any of these to a grill-out to share.

The squash, potatoes, green beans, and basil were all local.

I used a yellow zucchini and a variety of colors of pattypan squash. I thought the pattypan squash worked very well on the grill. The problem was the amount of space it took to cook enough squash to serve us as a main part of our meal and not just as a little side. I doubled the squash but some ended up going uncooked.

I did not use the cheese in the pesto. I did grind the pine nuts with a mortar and pestle. This held the chopped basil together with the other ingredients pretty well.

The potato salad reminded me of a German potato salad but without the bacon.

No comments: