Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dinner - June 22, 2009

This first dish is from the Eating Well magazine for August of 2009. This is Roasted Squash and Fennel with Thyme. I made a double recipe. The fennel we had was local and while beautiful it had a much stronger flavor than the grocery store style. I also tried using some of the stems from the fennel which I would suggest skipping for this recipe. The double recipe took an entire head of garlic but fit nicely in my roasting pan. There are some before pictures of the ingredients at the bottom of this post.
This is a cold dish of steamed chard from a recipe in Bishop's Vegetables Every Day. After the chard is steamed and chilled it is served with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil. I think it was a little much lemon juice on the first serving I made. I went with just the olive oil when I had the leftovers. This was beautiful small chard leaves and I think they were great this way. There is a before picture of the chard at the bottom of the post.
This is a tofu recipe extracted from a recipe called Spicy Stir-Fried Broccoli Rabe with Lemon-Basil Tofu from Berley's Modern Vegetarian Kitchen. It is a lemon flavor tofu bake which I thought would go with the rest of the meal. I think it did taste pretty good with the meal but it took at least twice as long to bake as the recipe had indicated and the basil turns the dish rather unsightly.

No comments: