Friday, March 20, 2009

Thursday Night - Dinner to Share



We have started making it an open invitation to some of our friends for dinner on Thursday night. I have the time to cook and they have the money to buy wine.

This week I went with Black Bean Tostadas with Cherry Tomato Salsa which is one of our favorites from Berley's Fresh Food Fast. I pared this with Mexican Lime Cumin Slaw. I found the slaw recipe on Culinate.com where I believe it is credited to Moosewood.


Jan and I really enjoyed this meal. Matt ended up with a bite that was too spicy and ruined the meal for him. I would definitely make this meal again and serve it to anyone. I will watch that spice level next time. It is a great mix of flavors, textures, and temperatures that satisfy like a much richer meal.

Jan and I had this meal pared with a Spanish red wine. I am going to have to remember to make a note or photo on the wines in the future. Matt opted for beer.

Here are the modifications I made mostly due to limited provisions.

Salsa:
used half a regular onion
served cilantro on the side (out of courtsey for our guest)
used only 1 lime
added one avocado

Tostadas:
used whole wheat tortillas to make the tostadas
did not use sour cream

I think the avocado in the salsa helps take the place of the fat that would have been found in the sour cream.

Slaw:
I made about a double recipe based on the cabbage I had
I used the zest of the lime that went in the salsa
I made a mixture of half lemon juice and half orange juice to replace the lime juice
I added some green pepper and a chopped chipotle in adobo sauce in place of fresh hot pepper

The pictures on this post and the last were just done with the camera flash and little staging.

No comments: