Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Red Odds and Ends

My grocery day and laundry day got switched this week so I had to come up with dinner from what was left in the refrigerator. I used the menu that I had developed from the Culinate website as a starting point but without any of the actual ingredients including olive oil I had to get creative.



I made a slaw of red cabbage, radishes, and raisins with a dressing of coconut milk, rice wine, lemon juice, and some spices. The coconut milk being leftover from last week.

I went back to one of our old standard recipes for rice and beans. I cooked up some red rice and when it was done stirred in a little bit of coconut milk. I cooked up two chopped onions, 1 chopped red pepper, 2 whole jalapenos chopped, and 3 minced cloves of garlic in two tablespoons of peanut oil. I then added some cumin and smoked paprika. Then in went a half a can of tomatoes (left over) and 2 cans of S&W black beans with the liquid. I cooked this down and served over the rice.

I say this made 2 dinner portions and 3 lunch portions. I really enjoyed the beans and the rice.

I also think it is impossible to get the color right on both of these dishes in the same picture. The cabbage is just not that attractive in this format.

No comments: