Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Culinate Success

My official first try of a recipe from Culinate.com was Asparagus and Orzo Salad.

I had huge success with it. If I were going to go back to my old rating system I would say 5 on taste and 5 on prep. I could serve this to anyone, it takes only the time it takes to boil pasta, it is a one pot meal, cleanup is easy, and I usually have all the ingredients.

I followed the recipe but substituted whole wheat orzo. For reference I used 6 green onions which was half of the bunch that I had. I used a one pound bunch of asparagus trimmed. I blanched the asparagus in the boiling, salted water and then removed and chilled under cold running tap water. I then cooked the pasta in the asparagus flavored water. Going in to this recipe I thought the pasta to vegetable ratio would be off and would require more veggies but that was not the case.

I recommend checking out the source on this which includes a much more appetizing picture.

Matt and I both loved this. When picking leftovers for his lunch, Matt doesn't usually choose to have what he had the night before. This time he had no doubt he wanted "the little fishes" which is what he calls orzo. That thought might not be any more appetizing than my pictures.

I was so obsessed with eating it I forgot about the pictures. I quickly snapped a couple half way through and they look horrible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great dish. Tasty, healthy, and easy to prepare. I thoroughly enjoyed this at dinner. It will become a regular dish at our house. Thanks, Kristen.