Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dinner Alone

There might have been four of us for dinner tonight but it ended up just being me. That is okay as the kitchen table is still covered with items that are in limbo after my deep clean of the kitchen and pantry today. If anyone needs a bread maker, coffee maker, or random serving platters please let me know.


In the spirit of a deep cleaning, tonight's dinner was based on using up what was left in the refrigerator. This meant I hit up the ratatouille recipe from Culinate I was suppose to make a while back.

I decided to serve it on some whole wheat bread along side a salad with Italian dressing and olives.

This was a stove top version of ratatouille. In the past I had made oven roasted versions. This was easy and allowed the eggplant to get cooked enough I could eat it. The recipe was a good ratio of vegetables.

I used a can of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes of the chopped variety. I drained off most of the liquid and then added in about half of it as the vegetables cooked. I used 2 tbsp of olive oil to start and added one more with the peppers.

This was easy as I could chop the veggies as the previous round cooked. I think the polenta would cook up in about the same time if I wanted to try that next time. The bread sure made it easy. You could serve this to anyone to whom you could serve a vegetable stew and call it dinner.

I enjoyed my meal with a glass of spanish red wine. I think it was pretty good.

No comments: