Friday, August 3, 2007

Double the C in Broccoli and Zucchini

We have been enjoying some vegetables from my parents' garden. Tonight we had zucchini and tomatoes from the garden augmented by broccoli and tofu from the local IGA.


For the zucchini I followed a recipe from Jack Bishop's Vegetables Every Day called Shredded Zucchini with Garlic and Herbs (page 370). I left out the olive oil completely and cooked it a little bit slower in a good non stick fry pan. Very successful.

For the broccoli I followed a recipe called Broccoli with Lime-Cumin Dressing from the same book (page 44). Again I left out the oil. I also reduced the shallot to about half since I wouldn't have the oil to mellow it. This was a good call. I also upped the lime juice to add some liquid and this was a bit to much. This one has potential.

For the tofu I followed the general directions I learned from Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. I used 12 oz of extra firm tofu cut into 8 slices. I cooked these in a dry non-stick fry pan until brown on each side. Then I added a mixture of 2 T soy sauce, 2 T mirin, 2 T lime juice, 3 T water, 1 clove garlic, and a good shot of hot sauce. Tossed the tofu and cooked down to a glaze. Probably worth going back to the source for a sauce but not bad.

Tomtoes were just sliced with a little salt ground on top.

Overall a very satisfying and quick meal. (I made it quicker by grating the zucchini and chopping the broccoli earlier in the evening). Couldn't really serve this to others and won't put this exact menu on heavy rotation. Glad to have the mellow dishes to sooth the tongue after eating the broccoli salad. These might be some good side dishes to know.

Made full recipes and had half each. With out the oil this is about 310 calories.

No comments: