Saturday, January 4, 2014

Creamy (aka Cheesy) Grits with Mushrooms and Kale

First venture into my new Cookin Crunk cookbook by Bianca Phillips.
This recipe calls to have tempeh bacon mixed in vs. the mushrooms and
kale but this substitution is not only what I had but also just what I
wanted. I would say this was pretty much a success even if it tasted a
bit of nutritional yeast (will reduce a bit next time). Sautéed the
mushrooms, a shallot, and the boiled and chopped kale in a tablespoon
of olive oil and served on top of the grits but quickly discovered I
liked it mixed in as pictured. It satisfied like chicken and rice or a
simple risotto. Probably meant to be a side, it served nicely as my
dinner with a glass of Pinot. Upped the water and cooking time a bit
but suspect the basic "cheesy grits" will become a standard reference
for my kitchen. These were yellow grits from Mississippi. Thanks to
Jiffer for the cookbook and the grits. Now to look for the next recipe
to try.

No comments: