Sunday, November 18, 2007

New Cookbooks

This summer I got the new Peter Berley cookbook called Flexitarian Table. We have made about three meals out of this book and while all were successful they were all a lot of work. I am going to save this one for special Saturday night dinners for the two of us or for when we are entertaining.

This summer we went for a vacation in the Finger Lakes region. We camped in a state park and made most of our meals at the campsite. One night we ventured into Ithaca so we could try out Moosewood Restaurant. We really enjoyed our meal. I didn't have a positive recollection of their cookbooks but after the great meal we had I thought I would try again. This fall I got the Moosewood low fat cookbook because making good vegetarian food with a big hunk of cheese really doesn't count. This week I made 4 dinners from it (three vegan and one with cheese). They were all satisfying in a hearty hot dish kind of way and pretty easy to make. They did not have the elegance or beauty of the the recipes I had been following but I think they will add a nice mixture to our weekly menus. I found the Moosewood recipes did a nice job mixing in some interesting spices that made for some nice savory hot dishes.

No comments: